Anger is a normal, healthy emotion and a range of different emotional responses contribute to its complexity.
Irritability, annoyance, fury, outrage, resentment, frustration, indignation, acrimony, hurt, hostility and at the extreme end of the scale, pathological hatred, all belong to the anger family
Anger may be a signal that we are not addressing important emotional issues in our lives or that too much of our self, our beliefs, values, desires or ambitions are being compromised in a relationship.
Anger may also be a signal that we are doing more and giving more than we can comfortably do or give.
Our rights are being violated or we are feeling hurt.
- Anger is physiological arousal, no behavioural component is involved in the definition of anger
- Expression of anger is learned. Nothing about it is inherited thus the expression can be modified
- Anger and aggression are independent terms
- Anger has potential for constructiveness; appropriate strategies require the full use of our thinking capacity.
- Its not okay to feel angry
- Anger is an undesirable emotion
- Good people do not feel angry
- Anger is a waste of time and energy and is best ignored
- Its okay to feel angry and express it constructively
- Anger is an emotion that is part of the human experience
- People feel angry. It is natural to feel angry at times
- Anger is a signal and we need to attend to it
The inappropriate expression of anger can impact on all areas of an individuals life, it can:
- Cause disruption
- Control thoughts
- Ruin relationships
- Create health problems
- Cause emotional problems such as depression and anxiety
- Create loneliness
Some useful tools to help manage Anger!
- Reduction of stress and anxiety levels
- Focused deep breathing
- Regular exercise is an ideal outlet for anger
- Time out can be a useful tool in avoiding abusive anger
Stuart can help you to become aware of and to understand your patterns around Anger; he will work with you and provide the tools and strategies to learn a more positive means of Anger expression.