What is an Employee Assistance Program?
An Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is a work-based intervention program designed to enhance the emotional, mental and general psychological wellbeing of all employees.
The aim is to provide preventive and proactive interventions for the early detection, identification and/or resolution of both work and personal problems that may adversely affect performance and wellbeing
Employee Assistance Programs are based on the concerns of the company pertaining to the high human and financial costs to the industry and community as a whole, when problems such as the following are highlighted within the workplace:
- Lateness for work
- Attitude problems
- Reduced productivity
- Problems between employees
- Decrease in morale
- High staff turnover
Offering employee’s and their immediate families the opportunity to obtain professional counselling to assist them through their difficulties has been proven to help resolve many of their problems and concerns.
Increases in an employee’s morale and attitude, in turn have a positive influence on both work performance and productivity.
By actively encouraging self referral by employee’s and their families, EAP’s are a proven early intervention strategy for workplaces- especially when the work place values the wellbeing of their employee’s.
An employee assistance program includes:
The provision of an independent, confidential, understanding, caring and professional Counselling Service, that is accessible to all employees and their immediate families.
What does an Employee Assistance Program Provide?
- An Employee Assistance Program is free of charge to the end user of the service (The employee) and the names of clients remain confidential.
- An Employee Assistance Program is where the information obtained during counselling sessions is and remains confidential.
- An Employee Assistance Program is voluntary only- it is not compulsory within the company – it is a service which is offered in assisting the employee through their time of need/
- An Employee Assistance Program is supplied by a professional, qualified, understanding, caring and experienced counsellor.
- An Employee Assistance Program may provide up to 10 hours, per client, per year – or an agreed upon number of hours by the employer.
- An Employee Assistance Program is available for immediate families of the employee.
What issues can the EAP Counsellor assist with?
- Loss, Grief and Bereavement
- Non Work Related Stress
- Anxiety and Depression
- Day to Day Issues
- Communication Skills
- Abuse and Abuse Trauma
- Family Issues
- Marriage and Relationship Issues
- Financial Problems
- Self Esteem/ Self Confidence
WORK RELATED ISSUES
- Workplace Harassment
- Workplace Bullying
- Overload/ Underload of work
- Interpersonal Conflict
- Work Productivity
- Work Absenteeism
- Work Behavioural Issues
- Job Stressors
- Job Satisfaction
- Time Management
An Employee Assistance Program usually consists of between six to eight sessions, These sessions are strictly confidential and can be conducted in either the workplace, the clients home or at Healing Counsels home office, and are provided by Stuart who is a fully qualified, professional counsellor and member of The Australian Counsellors Association.
Sessions are $100 each plus travel costs.
Appointments are usually available within 48 hours for employees with immediate needs and can be made by simply phoning Healing Counsel.
Your manager may suggest using EAP but the decision is always voluntary.